SUGGESTED ITINERARIES ON KOS ISLAND
Empros Thermae & Kos downtown
- Direction Kos ,then Ag. Fokas till the thermes (natural hot springs).
- Back to Kos , the Hospitaller Castle at the entrance of the harbour. ( Close monday).
- Opposite you will find the Hippocrates Tree and the Loggia with a panoramic view all over the Agora. On the left side of the square behind the restaurants visit the Hammam (Ottoman baths).
- The archaeological Museum is located on the Eleftherias square ( Close monday)
- The old town: on the right of the market building ; walk up the main street till the west archaeological area.
- The Casa Romana, the theater Odeon , the House Europa, the Vespasiennes (urinals in a stone building) the Thermes, the Gymnasium, the Basilica.
To eat : the good adresses......
- KAPARI, OLD TOWN - Diagoras sq. (Tel : 0030 22420 25220) - mezze restaurant
- FLAMOS (Fish market) - 8 Ethn, Makariou str. (Tel : 0030 2242023116) - choose your fish and eat directly on the terrace! Also take away possible.
- LAMBROS (Meat specialities) Psarrón 21 & Ieroú Lóchou (Tel 2242028808 Manolis or Christos)
- H2O, 7 Vassili Georgiou str. (Tel: 0030 22420 47207) with wonderfull terrace on the seaside.
Platani : near Kos town on the way to Asklepeion
- GIN’S in the street left from the village square . Have a look in the kitchen and choose your meal! Turkish specialities – Homemade food - Take away possible
Platani, Asklepeion ,
Hippocrates, « this philosophical doctor "
Zia and villages in the mountain.
- Direction Kos ; at the entrance of the city, turn to the right direction Platani (turkish village), and then visit the Hippocarates Foundation and the antique site of Asklepeion ( close Monday ).
- Go on the road in direction of the mountain: wonderfull panorama all over the turkish coast and the islands.
- Stop at the village of Aghios Dimitrios : small, old village in ruins, in the middle of the olivetrees.
- You drive up till Assomatos and visit the church where the icons are just renewed (if it is close, knock at the door of the traditional house on the left side and ask for the key).
- Then stop at Zia, typicall mountain village where we recommend you to have lunch at Olympia Restaurant with roof garden and private parking. (tel :0030 2242067149)
- Direction to Kos, in Asfendiou, turn left to Lagoudi : visit Christina’s Gallery & antiques and have a drink in a cosy place.
Salt lake and the old Pyli called
« the small Mystras of Dodecanese »
Kardamena, and Antimahia
- Direction Kos, after curve of Pyli, on your left follow the signs of “Go Kart”, then left to the sea: wild landscape around the salt lake and long beach with dunes. In October, you can see some flamingos.
- Back to the main road and direction Pyli Center, then follow the sign to the old Pyli.
- Stop the car near the fountain and go up the stone steps to the ruins and the old byzantine churches of the village and then on your left up to the castle. Walk back and completly up to the traditional house “Café”and then down by the earth road (put on good walk shoes).
- Drive on to the center of Pyli and stop near the main square where you will find some artists shops, a nice small church and refresh at the Pyli springs on the right of the square.
- Direction Kardamena on your left is located the ancient tholos- tomb of the mythical hero king
- Kardamena nice small harbour and shops (Hemera :nice frames with stones from the beach). We recommend the restaurant Posidonia : terrace directly on the beach with beautifull view on Nissyros .
- Direction to the Airport. Arrival at a big circus, take direction Kos . After the second one, drive slowly and turn to the right on a narrow road in direction of Castel of Antimahia.
- Direction Antimahia center : take the street on the left of the police station ; after the postoffice, straight on till a big square where you will find on the left an old windmill,and in front,a traditionnal house to visit.
Kefalos , Aghios Ioannis, Aghios Theologos
The country of the goats,
the little churches , monastery and nature
- On the road along the airport, turn right to Plaka, a nice pinewood with wild peacocks!
- To Kefalos, you can stop on your left to the beaches of « Markos Beach » or « Sunny Beach»…nice panorama.
- On the right side, go to the wonderfull Kohilaki beach and then also to Limionas (typical greek harbour)
- Before arriving in Kefalos, drive left to the basilica of St Stephanos.
- Arrival in Kefalos, drive up to the old village , arriving on a little square, turn left direction Aghios Theologos
- After 2 Km about, turn left in direction of Aghios Ioannis ; After about 500M turn to the left to Aspri Petra for a walk to a prehistoric cave.
- Back to the road to the monastery Aghios Ioannis. Small taverna with wonderfull panorama!
- Continue till the beach: wild site, you can dive snorkling in very clear water (beach with stones, take plastic shoes!). Drive on till the end of the earth road, and go for a nice walk along the coast : at the end of the path, you’ll find down the stony beach rocks as arches.